[R] Tools For Preparing Data For Analysis

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 14 22:47:00 CEST 2007

--- ted.harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk wrote:

> As a tangent to this thread, there is a very
> relevant
> article in the latest issue of the RSS magazine
> "Significance",
> which I have just received:
>
>   Dr Fisher's Casebook
>   The trouble with data
>
> Significance, Vol 4 (2007) Issue 2.
>
> Full current contents at
>
> http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/toc/sign/4/2
>
> but unfortunately you can only read any of it by
> paying
> money to Blackwell (unless you're an RSS member).
>
> Best wishes to all,
> Ted.

A lovely article.  I'm not a member but the local
university has a subscription.

The examples of "men who claimed to have cervical
smears (F) and women who were 5' tall weighing 15
stone (T) ring true.

I've found people walking at 30 km/hr (F) and an
addict using 240 needles a month (T). I've even found
a set of 16 variables the study designers never heard
of !