[R] Panel data

Stefan Grosse stefan.grosse at uni-erfurt.de
Thu Jun 14 08:27:46 CEST 2007

Panel data is that you have e.g. several subjects
(=individuals,firms,households) being tracked over a certain time (meaning
there are repeated observations). One could roughly say that it is a
collection of (quite similiar) time series. This makes the analysis better
than pooling the whole set but it needs certain econometric tools.

An example would be estimating wage elasticities.

Time series analysis usually just involves one subject (interest rates, share
prices etc.) over some time.

Standard books on panel data analysis are also Baltagi: econometric analysis
of panel data and Wooldridge: econometric analysis of cross sectional and
panel data. Both are not introductionary texts since you do not know the
difference between time series and panel data maybe you should start with an
introductionary econometrics book like Wooldridge introductory econometrics
or Verbeek: modern econometrics.

Stefan