[R] VGAM Pareto

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed Jun 13 19:09:52 CEST 2007

livia <yn19832 <at> msn.com> writes:

> I would like to fit a Pareto Distribution and I am using the following codes
>
> fit=vglm(ycf1 ~ 1, pareto1(location=alpha), trace=TRUE, crit="c")
> fitted(fit)
>
> But the fitted values turn out to be the same for each observation. I guess
> the problem is with "ycf1 ~ 1",

   Are you trying to fit the distribution to set of a values,
or are you trying to fit a model with a Pareto error distribution
(in which case you would be fitting the distribution to the observations
within each group separately, or fitting the distribution with
parameters changing as a function of covariates, depending on
your mixture of factor and numeric predictors)?   If the former,
then there aren't any "fitted" values to be gotten.

   Perhaps if you say a little more about the problem you're trying
to solve you will get more useful help.

  Also see http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/06/09/0133.html
and the answers to it.