[R] installing GRASS-R packages

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Jun 13 15:24:25 CEST 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Philippe LAGACHERIE wrote:

> Hi,
> I tried to install R packages required for the GRASS-R interface by
> using the following command (copied from
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/statsgrass/grass6_r_install.html):
> /install.packages (c("sp", "spgrass6","rgdal","maptools"), dependencies
> =TRUE)/
> rgdal package was installed successfully;
> There were problems to find 'sp' and 'maptools' packages. The error
> message was /: dependencies 'sp' and 'maptools' are not available/.
> I tried to download the packages from three different mirrors with the
> same result  ( http://cran.fr.r-project.org/ ,
> http://cran.mirroring.de/, http://probability.ca/cran/ )
> <http://probability.ca/cran/>
> I then failed to download 'spgrass6' since it required to download first
> "sp"
> can anybody tell me what mistake I did and how (where?) I can get these
> packages

The note in the OSGeo Journal:

http://www.osgeo.org/files/journal/final_pdfs/OSGeo_vol1_GRASS-R.pdf

is more recent, although the note you accessed is accurate, and says just:

install.packages("spgrass6", dependencies = TRUE)

should be enough, because all the packages are on CRAN, and current sp
and maptools are on at least http://cran.fr.r-project.org.

Topics like this are best raised on the R-sig-geo list, or perhaps on the
GRASS STATGRASS list. It is also good practice to say what platform you
are on (OS, R version, etc.) as reported by sessionInfo().

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no