[R] if statement

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Wed Jun 13 08:52:28 CEST 2007

My solutions are usually too baroque, but does this do what you want?

x <- rnorm(100)
quants <- quantile(x, c(.3, .7))
Case <- rep(2, length(x)) # 2 lies in the middle of the distribution
Case[x <= quants[1]] <- 0
Case[x >= quants[2]] <- 1
Case

Cheers,

Simon.

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 15:14 -0700, Jiong Zhang, PhD wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a rather naive question. I have the height of 100 individuals in
> a table and I want to assign the tallest 30% as Case=1 and the bottom
> 30% as Case=0.  How do I do that?
>
> thanks.
>
> jiong
>  The email message (and any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message (and any attachments).  Thank You.
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia

Room 320, Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.