[R] Using dll with Visual Studio Compiler

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 13 08:00:46 CEST 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Ian McCarthy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have created a dll in Fortran and used the Visual Studio 2005
> Compiler. I've read that certain problems can arise based on the

Since Visual Studio does not create Fortran, that's a bit vague.  And let
us assume you are on Win32, but you failed to say.

> compiler used and that these problems can sometimes cause R not to be
> able to access everything appropriately, but I've not found how to fix
> any of these problems. Specifically, after using dyn.load, I know the
> dll has been loaded because it is listed in getLoadedDLLs(), but when I
> try is.loaded("subroutine name"), it returns FALSE. I saw that this was
> mentioned in the manual, but it too offers little help for a solution.

'The manual'?  If you mean an R manual, it offers a lot more details than
you are giving us to go on.  Try using VS or pedump to see what is
exported from your DLL under what names.  (pedump is in the R tools kit as
well as elsewhere.)