[R] PCA for Binary data

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Jun 13 05:17:35 CEST 2007

      The problem with applying prcomp to binary data is that it's not
clear what problem you are solving.

      The standard principal components and factor analysis models
assume that the observations are linear combinations of unobserved
"common" factors (shared variability), normally distributed, plus normal
noise, independent between observations and variables.  Those
assumptions are clearly violated for binary data.

      RSiteSearch("PCA for binary data") produced references to 'ade4'
and 'FactoMineR'.  Have you considered these?  I have not used them, but
FactoMineR included functions for 'Multiple Factor Analysis for Mixed
[quantitative and qualitative] Data'

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves