[R] R vs. Splus in Pharma/Devices Industry

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Jun 11 21:04:49 CEST 2007

Cody_Hamilton at Edwards.com wrote:
> Following up to some extent on Friday's discussion regarding the
> 'validation' of R, could I ask the list group's opinion on possible
> advantages of R over Splus from a pharma/devices perspective?  I wish to
> exclude the obvious price difference, which doesn’t seem to carry as much
> weight as I would have thought.  Besides, I have noticed many former Splus
> users gravitating towards R, and I suspect that the reasons are not purely
> economic.
>
> I can think of a few advantages of Splus:
> 1. SeqTrial (of course that means more $)
> 2. Tech support
> 3. The warm fuzzies that management seems to get from proprietary software
>
> I can also think of a few advantages of R:
> 1. Based on my personal experiences, simulations requiring a lot of looping
> seem to run faster.
> 2. R interfaces with BUGS, for example through BRUGS.
> 3. The wonderful help list!
>
> As always, I am speaking for myself and not necessarily for Edwards
> Lifesciences.
>
> Regards,
>    -Cody
>
> Cody Hamilton, PhD
> Edwards Lifesciences
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

A big one for us is plotmath (for clinical trial reports we put a lot of
greek letters and subscripts on plots), and later we will consider
migrating a lot of our stuff to the ggplot package which I don't think
is available in S-Plus.  Lexical scoping is another advantage of R as is
the ability to reference files on the internet.

Frank