[R] Tools For Preparing Data For Analysis

Chris Evans chrishold at psyctc.org
Sun Jun 10 11:39:05 CEST 2007

(Ted Harding) sent the following  at 10/06/2007 09:28:

... much snipped ...

> (As is implicit in many comments in Robert's blog, and indeed also
> from many postings to this list over time and undoubtedly well
> known to many of us in practice, a lot of the problems with data
> files arise at the data gathering and entry stages, where people
> can behave as if stuffing unpaired socks and unattributed underwear
> randomly into a drawer, and then banging it shut).

And they look surprised when pointing a statistician at the chest of
drawers doesn't result in a cut price display worthy of Figleaf (or
Victoria's Secret I think for those of you in N.America) and get them
their degree, doctorate, latest publication ...

Ah me, how wonderfully, wonderfully ... sadly, accurate!

Thanks Ted, great thread and I'm impressed with EpiData that I've
discovered through this. I'd still like something that is even more
integrated with R but maybe some day, if EpiData go fully open source as
I think they are doing ("A full conversion plan to secure this and
convert the software to open-source has been made (See complete
description of license and principles)." at http://www.epidata.dk/ but
the link to http://www.epidata.dk/about.htm doesn't exactly clarify this
I don't think.  But I can hope.)

Thanks, yet again, to everyone who creates and contributes to the R
system and this list: wonderful!

Chris Evans <chris at psyctc.org> Skype: chris-psyctc
Professor of Psychotherapy, Nottingham University;
Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy, Notts PDD network;
Research Programmes Director, Nottinghamshire NHS Trust;
*If I am writing from one of those roles, it will be clear. Otherwise*
*my views are my own and not representative of those institutions    *