[R] write.table: last line should differ from usual eol

Andreas Gegg AndreasGegg at gmx.de
Sat Jun 9 12:31:03 CEST 2007

Dear R-Team,

I have a problem with writing an array to (for example) a .txt-file.
Because of the .txt-file must be read from another programm (OPL ILOG),
the syntax of the output must be from a special form:

name_of_the_object = [	[1,2, ... ],
			[1,...],
			... ];

I think it's easier to understand with a small example:

X<-array(1:4,c(2,2))

should be written as:
X = [[1,3],
      [2,4]];

I have (until now) used the following:

write("X=[[",file=filename)
write.table(X,file=filename,sep=",",eol="],\n [", row.names=FALSE,
col.names=FALSE,append=TRUE)

which leads to the following output:
X=[[
1,3],
  [2,4],
  [

I hope you can help because it's very annoying to adjust the resulting
.txt-file "by hand".

Thanks a lot for your help!
With nice greetings

Andreas Gegg,
mathematic-student on Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt (Germany)