[R] Nonlinear Regression

tronter pev340002003 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 23:50:12 CEST 2007

Hello

I followed the example in page 59, chapter 11 of the 'Introduction to R'
manual. I entered my own x,y data. I used the least squares. My function has
5 parameters: p[1], p[2], p[3], p[4], p[5]. I plotted the x-y data. Then I
used lines(spline(xfit,yfit)) to overlay best curves on the data while
changing the parameters. My question is how do I calculate the residual sum
of squares. In the example they have the following:

df <- data.frame( x=x, y=y)

fit <- nls(y ~SSmicmen(s, Vm, K), df)

fit

In the second line how would I input my function? Would it be:

fit <- nls(y ~ myfunction(p[1], p[2], p[3], p[4], p[5]), df) where
myfunction is the actual function? My function doesnt have a name, so should
I just enter it?

Thanks