[R] update packages with R on Vista: error

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Thu Jun 7 15:36:24 CEST 2007

Actually the packages R wants to update are: VR, cluster, lattice, mgcv,
nlme and rcompgen. I did how described in the R-Win-FAQ create a
.Renviron File containing the path to the win-library that R already
created (R_LIBS=C: ... ). I also tried to add R_LIBS= as Rgui parameter
from within Tinn-R. Additionally I tried to leave a file named
Renviron.site in the etc library. Nothing worked thus far.

Interestingly installing packages does work fine even without specifying
the R_LIBS path manually with any of the above mentioned methods.

Even more puzzling is that even when I install eg. nlme manually via
install.packages("nlme") it works but R still wants to update it. Even
though e.g. library(nlme), ?nlme shows that the latest version is
installed.

I would guess there is some problem with the library path variable in
the update program...

Stefan