[R] compiling from source on Vista

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 7 07:32:29 CEST 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Erin Hodgess wrote:

> Dear R People:
>
> In the "R Installation and Administration" manual, there is a note
> that the process used to compile R from source will NOT work on Windows Vista.
>
> Does anyone know if that situation has changed, please?

That's not quite what it says:

   Note that there are known problems with using this compiler set (and all
   others available at the time of writing) on Windows Vista
(@url{http://www.nabble.com/environment-hosed-during-upgrade-tf3305745.html#a9195667}
   and that some updates are needed (see the URL above).

As far as I know no update for 'g77' is available for download (so in that
sense the situation is unchanged) but I believe that the existing tools
can be gotten to work by setting suitable paths.

We had expected a new MinGW release by now (June 1 was mentioned), so
hopefully the official solution to this is imminent.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk