[R] Why is the R mailing list so hard to figure out?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Jun 5 15:02:15 CEST 2007

    VE> irishhacker wrote:
    >>
    >> Why does the R mailing list need such an unusual and
    >> customized user interface?

Well, that's  VERY MUCH a matter of point of view, and the view
is most probably very highly dependent on your year of birth.
For many old timers like me, e-mail is at least as natural as
web browsing.  I see that such an attitude becomes more and more
outdated.

    VE> There was a discussion of this some time ago on the
    VE> list.  I believe, RSiteSearch("r-help mailing list
    VE> forum") or some other similar keywords will find it.

    VE> irishhacker wrote:
    >>
    >> What's the best way to view and read discussions in this
    >> group for recent days? Can I view the postings for the
    >> current day via Google Groups?

 Well, one way is still *subscribing* to R-help and
 occasionally helping each other,
 instead of just perusing it as a resource ...

    >> GMANE was mentioned already.

    VE> I use the Nabble interface
    VE> (http://www.nabble.com/R-f13819.html), it seems more
    VE> convenient to me, but it collects less lists than Gmane.

Yes, but it appends its silly footer (aka "advertizement") to
all mails sent out, luring people to use it.

I (as mailing list manager) have considered more than once to
just evaporate such footers as I evaporate most other
spam-footers (as e.g. from hotmail, yahoo, gmx, ...).

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich