[R] Datapoints underneath datapoints Problem

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Jun 2 17:29:26 CEST 2007

mister_bluesman wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I have the following graph:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p10928148/map.jpg
>
> However, some datapoints occur at the same place as other datapoints and are
> so layered on top of each other. I would like to know if there is any
> possible way in which I could view those datapoints that are layered on top
> of each other ...maybe by rotating using latitude to show the datapoints
> underneath (but then is that possible?)??? - just an idea.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Sam.

You can use common techniques such as jitter() or transparency (alpha
shading), depending on the amount of datapoints that are layered on top
of each other.

Of course, you can also rotate the data, but then you will have to
decide which way makes sense - and you have to add some randomness as
well, or two points will be rotated to the same new coordinates unless
there is another variable that will cause a difference.

Uwe Ligges