[R] spatial simulation

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Jun 2 14:35:30 CEST 2007

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Kitty Lee wrote:

> Dear R-users,
>
> I'm trying to do some spatial simulation. I have two covariates, Z and
> C. I want to examine their relationship under different spatial
> distribution.
>
> I have no problem simulating completely spatial random process but I'm
> totally stuck on poisson (cluster) pattern. I already have a dataset
> with Z and C (obs=575) and I know the relationship between them. Using
> these 575 cases, how can I simulate a clustered process and have a
> dataset that has four columns:
>
> x-coor y-coor z c
>
> I know I can use rpois or pcp.sim to generate points that clustered and
> then use cbind to attach Z and C values. But the problem is my
> observations will not be spatially clustered. How can I simulate so that
> now Z is spatially clustered?

Although you are not being very clear, I think that unless both Z and C
are marked point processes (ie. both take (discrete) values and are
observed at different points), this is not a spatial point process
problem. If Z and C are observed at the same points, and what you are
looking for are clusters of correlated values of Z with C, the clusters
are not the locations of the points, but rather the co-occurrence of
high/low values of Z and C respectively. How to go forward from here would
depend on what kind of process you are actually interested in. More
detail might help - as might following up on R-sig-geo, rather than on the
general list.