[R] Problem with Weighted Variance in Hmisc

Tom La Bone labone at gforcecable.com
Fri Jun 1 13:00:47 CEST 2007

Thanks.  I have another related question:

The equation for weighted variance given in the NIST DataPlot documentation
is the usual variance equation with the weights inserted.  The weighted
variance of the weighted mean is this weighted variance divided by N.

There is another approach to calculating the weighted variance of the
weighted mean that propagates the uncertainty of each term in the weighted
mean (see Data Reduction and Error Analysis for the Physical Sciences by
Bevington & Robinson).  The two approaches do not give the same answer. Can
anyone suggest a reference that discusses the merits of the DataPlot
approach versus the Bevington approach?

Tom La Bone