[R] simple coding question

Darin A. England england at cs.umn.edu
Tue Jul 31 18:14:40 CEST 2007

I know that some ICD9 codes contain letters, so I suspect that they
are stored as "character". Here is a function that just pads zeros
on to the end to make the string five characters long.

format <- function(icd9) {
  len <- length(strsplit(icd9, "")[[1]])
  pad <- ""
  if (num <- 5-len)
    pad <- paste(rep("0", times=num), collapse="")
  paste(icd9, pad , sep="", collapse="")
}

Then use sapply() on the vector that contains the codes. Probably
not too hard to stick a "." in there if you really want one.

Darin