[R] lattice grayscale "theme"

Patrick Drechsler patrick at pdrechsler.de
Tue Jul 31 03:15:55 CEST 2007

"Deepayan Sarkar" <deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com> writes:
> On 7/30/07, Patrick Drechsler <patrick at pdrechsler.de> wrote:
>> The Gmane interface seems to have some lag at the moment...

[...]
>> > Possibly, but you would have to define what you mean by 'simple'
>> > and 'something in between' more precisely.
>>
>> Here is an example of 'in between':

>>   ## Set background color of strips to grayscales:
>>   strip.background <- trellis.par.get("strip.background")
>>   trellis.par.set(strip.background = list(col = grey(7:1/8)))
>>   ## Set color of plot symbols to grayscale:
>>   plot.symbol <- trellis.par.get("plot.symbol")
>>   trellis.par.set(plot.symbol = list(col = grey(5/8)))
>
> Well, there you go. You have a new theme.

Thanks for confirming that I am on the right track!

>> I think it would be nice to have a few default "themes": A single
>> switch between "default color", "grayscale" and "black and white".
>
> I'm still not sure what qualities you are looking for in the new
> theme.

Goal:

Lattice should have good default settings for color, grayscale and
b&w.

The user should not be bothered with the details (similar to using
LaTeX: Many users do not have any idea of DEK's typesetting in the
background).

Lattice functions should provide reasonable default settings.

The default colors for the lattice suite were chosen for a reason
(very good choice for color display).

IMO the default grayscale colors should be wrapped into a similar
default-suite after discussion of which grayscales are best suited for
printing with different common resolutions using b/w printers.

After this has been decided upon, it might be nice to have something
along the lines of:

lattice.options(default.theme = [color|gray|bw])

Have I described my concern elaborately enough?

> An upcoming version of the latticeExtra package will have a function
> that can be used to create a theme based on some given colors; you
> might find it useful. It uses colors from RColorBrewer by default,
> and looks like:

This looks very interesting, thanks for keeping the development going!

Cheers,

Patrick