[R] Creating a cross table out of a large dataset

celine cvdamme at vub.ac.be
Thu Jul 26 22:32:01 CEST 2007

Dear all,

I want to make a cross table out of a data set which is 2 columns wide and
more than 150000 rows long. When I use the table() function I get an error
message

This is the code I have used:

>Dataset <- read.table("test.txt", header=TRUE, sep=",", na.strings="NA",
dec=".", strip.white=TRUE)

> .T <-table(Dataset$K1,Dataset$K2)

This is the error message I have received

>Error in vector("integer", length) : vector size specified is too large
>In addition: Warning messages:
>1: NAs introduced by coercion
>2: NAs introduced by coercion

Is it possible to make a cross table with the table() function on a large
dataset or should I consider using another function? I have had a look at
the ?table help file but I could find any information on the size of the
dataset.

Thanks very much in advance for any help:-)

Kind regards,
Céline.