[R] Regarding Bivariate normal distribution.

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) Wolfgang.Viechtbauer at STAT.unimaas.nl
Wed Jul 25 10:12:32 CEST 2007

No, x and y are not unique. In fact, there is an infinite number of x and y pairs that are roots to the equation P[X<x, Y<y] = 0.05.

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer
 Department of Methodology and Statistics
 University of Maastricht, The Netherlands
 http://www.wvbauer.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch [mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Arun Kumar Saha
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 08:58
To: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R] Regarding Bivariate normal distribution.

Dear all R gurus,

My question is related to statistics rather directly to R. Suppose
(X,Y) has a bivariate normal distrubution. I want to find two values of X and Y say x, and y respectively, such that:

P[X<x, Y<y] = 0.05

My questions are :

1. Can x and y be uniquely found?
2. If it is, how I can find them using R

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,