[R] Fitting exponential curve to data points

Stephen Tucker brown_emu at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 11:32:27 CEST 2007

I think your way is probably the easiest (shockingly). For instance, here are
some alternatives - I think in both cases you have to calculate the
coefficient of determination (R^2) manually. My understanding is that
multiple R^2 in your case is the usual R^2 because you only have one
predictor variable, and the adjusted R^2 considers the degrees of freedom and
penalizes for additional predictors. Which is better... depends? (Perhaps
more stats-savvy people can help you on that one. I'm a chemical engineer so
I unjustifiably claim ignorance).

## Data input
input <-
"Year	Count
1999	3
2000	5
2001	9
2002	30
2003	62
2004	154
2005	245
2006	321"

dat <- read.table(textConnection(input),header=TRUE)
dat[,] <- lapply(dat,function(x) x-x[1])
          # shifting in origin; will need to add back in later

## Nonlinear least squares
plot(dat)
out <- nls(Count~b0*exp(b1*Year),data=dat,
           start=list(b0=1,b1=1))
lines(dat[,1],fitted(out),col=2)
out <- nls(Count~b0+b1*Year+b2*Year^2,data=dat, #polynomial
           start=list(b0=0,b1=1,b2=1))
lines(dat[,1],fitted(out),col=3)

## Optim
f <- function(.pars,.dat,.fun) sum((.dat[,2]-.fun(.pars,.dat[,1]))^2)
fitFun <- function(b,x) cbind(1,x,x^2)%*%b
expFun <- function(b,x) b[1]*exp(b[2]*x)

plot(dat)
out <- optim(c(0,1,1),f,.dat=dat,.fun=fitFun)
lines(dat[,1],fitFun(out$par,dat[,1]),col=2)
out <- optim(c(1,1),f,.dat=dat,.fun=expFun)
lines(dat[,1],expFun(out$par,dat[,1]),col=3)