[R] Effect size, interactions, and main effects (Stats Question) [ffmanova]

Robert A LaBudde ral at lcfltd.com
Sat Jul 21 16:00:23 CEST 2007

Statistical significance is "detectability", and depends upon the
size of the  sample as well as the effect. A large enough experiment
will result in statistical detectability of almost every interaction
action term allowed.

This is why estimation, not testing, has become the consensus
recommendation in statistics.

As a practical matter, evaluate the combined effect of your model
terms with and without the interaction term(s) you are worried about.
Is the reduction in accuracy of physical importance? If so, the
interaction terms are required for scientific reasons. If not,
present both results and indicate the acceptability (for
interpolation) of the simpler model.

You should also make it your first priority to hypothecate why the
interaction terms are meaningful and expected. If a cause can be
found, it may suggest an alternate model that will eliminate
interactions, or satisfy your anxiety. If not, it may support your
argument to simplify.

Robert A. LaBudde, PhD, PAS, Dpl. ACAFS  e-mail: ral at lcfltd.com
Least Cost Formulations, Ltd.            URL: http://lcfltd.com/
824 Timberlake Drive                     Tel: 757-467-0954
Virginia Beach, VA 23464-3239            Fax: 757-467-2947

"Vere scire est per causas scire"