[R] linear interpolation of multiple random time series

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 21:01:40 CEST 2007

Thsi can be done compactly using the zoo package.

The first statement after library converts the rows for each trial into
a separate zoo object and then uses by to merge these into a
single zoo object with one column per trial.

The second statement converts it from zoo to ts which has
the effect of filling in all missing times.  na.approx
does the actual linear interpolation.

The result is an mts object (or you could use as.zoo to
convert that to a zoo object if you prefer).

library(zoo)
z <- do.call("merge", by(a, a$trial, function(DF) zoo(DF$x, DF$time)))
na.approx(as.ts(z), na.rm = FALSE)