[R] elementary statistics with R (rkward?)

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 11:26:14 CEST 2007

On 7/11/07, Donatas G. <dgvirtual at akl.lt> wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to learn some basic statistics stuff but I cannot find any
> elementary statistics exercises using R language. Using RKward would be even
> better...

[..]
> I realize it would be much simple to do this introductory stuff with spss, that
> everyone around me is using here in Lithuania, but I'd really like to learn to
> do it with R instead...

You seem to be looking for a practical GUI allowing you to learn R in
a fairly easy way. Then, you're probably heading towards  the  R
Commander [1] package. SciViews-R [2] is also worth looking at as a
decent alternative to programs like SPSS. However, watch out for the
incompatibility issues of SciViews with recent R _and_ Linux (the
author would fix both problems somewhere towards September/October).
If you want to check other GUIs, look at the link on  available GUIs
[3] (go directly to Overview); you might be interested by anything
starting with Rcmdr and bellow. On a side note, I tried a recent
version of RKward and to me the program felt, just as its name
suggests, awkward.

As for  understanding the basics of R, you would be interested in
checking this document on  differences between SPSS or SAS and R [4].
This pdf reference [5] is also interesting for beginners (like myself,
by the way).

Hope this is of help. Regards,
Liviu

[1] http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/