[R] How to sort a data.frame

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 05:04:14 CEST 2007

The example could be simplified like this:

T <- productSalesByStore
T <- merge(T, rowsum(T$sales, T$store), by.x = 2, by.y = 0)
T[order(T$V1, T$sales, decreasing = TRUE), 1:3]

If you transfer your data to a data base then this SQL statement would
also do it:

select store, product, sales
   from productSalesByStore
   natural join (select store, sum(sales) storesales from
     productSalesByStore group by store)
   order by storesales desc, sales desc