[R] nearest correlation to polychoric

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 13 16:28:36 CEST 2007

    DR> you could also have a look at function posdefify() from
    DR> package `sfsmisc'.

    DR> I hope it helps.

Yes, thanks, Dimitris; note that my posdefify() function uses a
pretty arbitrary "fudge" value for posdefification, namely
      eps.ev = 1e-07

As a matter of fact, earlier this week (in "the first
international R/Rmetrics workshop"),
I've talked to people from finance who also need that (or
something better?).

Jordi Molins Coronado (Madrid) drew my attention to an idea
he found in the book (English re-edition of French as of 1996)
Jean-Philippe Bouchaud (2000)
    Theory of Financial Risk and Derivative Pricing:
    From Statistical Physics to Risk Management

which supposedly uses theory of random matrices and
the entailing distribution of random eigenvalues in order to
find a more sensible cutoff than my 'eps.ev' default of 1e-7.
Unfortunately that book is checked out from our library and I
can't have a look.   Googling and Wikipedia seem to indicate to
me that most of the random matrix theory does not directly apply
here, since I'm really interested in the spectrum of X'X where X
is a de-meaned n x p random matrix.

OTOH, help(posdefify) already mentions more sophisticated
approaches to the problem, the one I (as I vaguely remember)
should be made available being

  Cheng, Sheung Hun and Higham, Nick (1998)
  A Modified Cholesky Algorithm Based on a Symmetric Indefinite Factorization;
  \emph{SIAM J. Matrix Anal.\ Appl.}, \bold{19}, 1097--1110.

Jens, could you make your code (mentioned below) available to
the community, or even donate to be included as a new method of
posdefify() ?

Regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich