[R] Choosing the number of colour breaks in ggplot2

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 16:05:52 CEST 2007

Hi Karl,

There's no official way to do it, but you can "hack" the colour
gradient scale to do what you want:

x=-10:10
y=-10:10
dat=expand.grid(x=x,y=y)
dat$z=dat$x^2+dat$y^2-100

# Create a modified scale
gr <- scale_fill_gradient2()$clone()
gr$breaks <- function(.) seq(-100, 100, by=10)

ggplot(dat, mapping=aes(x=x, y=y, fill=z)) +
 geom_tile() + gr

# Or to use the range of the scale if you don't want to set it by hand
gr$breaks <- function(.) seq(.$frange()[1], .$frange()[2], length=10)

This works because ggplot2 is built on top of the proto library and
has mutable objects.  Most of the time you don't notice this because
the default functions operate with R's copy-on-modify semantics.

Hadley