[R] integration over a simplex

RAVI VARADHAN rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Tue Jul 10 16:54:24 CEST 2007

Hi Robin,

A Monte-Carlo approach could be attempted, if one could generate samples that are either uniformly distributed over the simplex.  There is a small section in Luc Devroye's book (Generation of Non-uniform random deviates) on random uniform sampling from a simplex, if I remeber correctly.
Another approach is importance sampling, where the sampling points have a characterized distribution.  I have seen a technique called polyEDA, based on Gibbs sampling and truncated multivariate normal distribution.  I had previously emailed the authors of this approach for the code, but haven't received a reply yet.  You can google "polyEDA" for more info.

I am interested in various computational problems related to polyhedra (e.g. enumeration of vertices, locating extrema, random sampling).  I would appreciate if you'd keep me posted on how you solved this problem.

Best,
Ravi.