[R] generating a data frame with a subset from another data frame

James R. Milks james.milks at wright.edu
Sun Jul 8 19:08:27 CEST 2007

R gurus,

I have a data set that looks something like this:

Site	Species	DBH	#Vines
G	PLOC	45.9	4
G	ACNE	23.3	1
G	ACNE	12.0	0
G	FRAM	35.9	5
G	AEGL	11.2	2
N	PLOC	77.3	12
N	JUNI	78.6	7
N	ACNE	18.9	1
N	ACNE	15.7	3
N	ACRU	35.5	4
H	ACSA2	24.1	6
H	ULAM	35.2	7

There are 730 individual trees (22 species) from four sites in the
actual data set.  I would like to create a second data frame that
contains just the most common species (mainly ACNE, PLOC, ULAM, FRAM,
and ACSA2).  Here's some of my attempts:

 >study.1<-subset(study,study$Species=c
("ACNE","PLOC","FRAM","ULAM","ACSA2))
Error: syntax error

 >study.1<-study[study$Species==,c("ACNE","PLOC","FRAM","ULAM","ACSA2)]
Error: syntax error

 >study.1<-study[c("ACNE","PLOC","FRAM","ULAM","ACSA2"),]
#This one appeared to work, but upon inspection, it just copied the
entire "study" data frame instead of just copying the data I wanted,
as study.1$Species had a length of 22 (the same as the original)
instead of the desired length of 5.

I've already consulted a book on R as well as spent the last three
hours searching the R-help archives.  There must be a way to get the
subset I desire but it is not obvious to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Milks

Graduate Student
Environmental Sciences Ph.D. Program