[R] random sampling with some limitive conditions?

Alan Zaslavsky zaslavsk at hcp.med.harvard.edu
Sun Jul 8 18:40:08 CEST 2007

If I understand your problem, this might be a solution.  Assign
independent random numbers for row and column and use the corresponding
ordering to assign the row and column indices.  Thus row and column
assignments are independent and the row and column totals are fixed.  If
cc and rr are respectively the desired row and column totals, with
sum(cc)==sum(rr), then

n = sum(cc)
row.assign = rep(1:length(rr),rr)[order(runif(n))]
col.assign = rep(1:length(cc),cc)[order(runif(n))]

If you want many such sets of random assignments to be generated at once
you can use a few more rep() calls in the expressions to generate multiple
sets in the same way.  (Do you actually want the assignments or just the
tables?) Of course there are many other possible solutions since you have
not fully specified the distribution you want.

 	Alan Zaslavsky
 	Harvard U