[R] Loading problem with XML_1.9

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Sun Jul 8 08:12:52 CEST 2007

Well, as you mention at the end of the mail,
several people have given you suggestions about
how to solve the problem using different approaches.
You might search on the Web for how to install a 64 bit version of libxml2?
Using xmlTreeParse(, useInternalNodes = TRUE) is an approach
to reducing the memory consumption as is using the handlers
argument. And if size is really the issue, you should consider
the SAX model which is very memory efficient and made available
via the xmlEventParse() function in the XML package.
And it even provides the concepts of branches to provide a
hybrid of SAX and DOM-style parsing together.

However, to solve the problem of the xmlMemDisplay
symbol not being found, you can look for where
that is used and remove it.    It is in src/DocParse.c
in the routine RS_XML_MemoryShow().  You can remove
the line
  xmlMemDisplay(stderr)
or indeed the entire routine.  Then re-install and
reload the package.

 D.