[R] Me again, about the horrible documentation of tcltk

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Jul 6 01:41:25 CEST 2007

On 05/07/2007 4:38 PM, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> Alberto Monteiro wrote:
>> How on Earth can I know what are the arguments of any of the functions of
>> the tcl/tk package? I tried hard to find, using all search engines
>> available, looking deep into keywords of R, python's tkinter and tcl/tk, but
>> nowhere I found anything remotely similar to a help.
>>
>> For example, what are the possible arguments to tkgetOpenFile?
>>
>> I know that this works:
>>
>> library(tcltk)
>> filename <- tclvalue(tkgetOpenFile(
>>   filetypes="{{Qorn Files} {.jpg}} {{All files} {*}}"))
>> if (filename != "") cat("Selected file:", filename, "\n")
>>
>> but, besides filetypes, what are the other arguments to
>> tkgetOpenFile? I would like to force the files to be sorted by
>> time, with most recent files coming first (and no, the purpose is
>> not to use for qorn files).
>>

> man n tk_getOpenFile
>
> or if you are not on Unix/Linux, find it online with Google

Chances are, if Alberto is not on Unix/Linux he is on Windows (assuming
Mac OSX counts as an *ix), and TCL and TK help files are distributed
with R.  See RHOME/Tcl/doc.  He'll still have the problem of converting
TCL/TK documentation conventions into their R equivalents, but I think
you've given reasonable documentation on how to do that.

I wish we had a good way to refer to these files from the rest of the
help system.

Duncan Murdoch