[R] Incidence estimated from Kaplan-Meier

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Thu Jul 5 15:25:22 CEST 2007

The 1-Pr(disease free survival) estimate from KM is not appropriate if
competing risk of mortality (from causes other than the disease of interest)
are present.  In that case, 1-Pr(disease free survival) over-estimates the
cumulative incidence of disease.  The larger the hazard of mortality, the
larger the over-estimation.  This is a well-known phenomenon in the
competing risks literature.  See, for example, Gooley et al. (Stats in Med
1999).

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu