[R] (no subject)

Roy Mendelssohn Roy.Mendelssohn at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 3 22:30:00 CEST 2007

Hi:

We are having some very strange problems with R on WIndows, both with
R 2.4.1 and R 2.5.0.  The following command:

> download.file(url="http://oceanwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov:8081/thredds/wcs/
> satellite/AG/ssta/14day?
> request=GetCoverage&version=1.0.0&service=WCS&format=NetCDF3&coverage=
> AGssta&Vertical=.0&time=2006-01-06T00:00:00Z&bbox=220,20,250,50",
> destfile="junk.nc")

on my Mac downloads a netcdf file, which I can open just fine using
the ncdf package, and displays just fine using the netcdf utility
"ncdump -h"

The same command under Windows downloads a file with that name and
with the correct size.  A cmp on the two files says there are
differences, and using a hex editor confirms this.  The file produces
a simple error  when using "open.ncdf" and in fact the ncdump utility
produces:

  rmendels% /sw/bin/ncdump -h junk1.nc
/sw/bin/ncdump: junk1.nc: Invalid argument

There is clearly something corrupted in the Wndows version, and yet
it works perfectly on my Mac.  I have produced this error on two
different Windows machines with two different versions of R.

Any help appreciated

-Roy M.

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst