[R] MASS library rob.cov ellipse

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 3 07:32:51 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Jenifer Larson-Hall wrote:

> Hi,
> I used to get a really useful graph when I ran the following command
> using the MASS library:
>
>> cov.rob(cbind(dekeyser$AGE,dekeyser$GJTSCORE),cor=T)
>
> Besides the regular output, a graph appeared that had the classical
> correlation and the robust correlation, and two ellipses, one
> surrounding the data that would be used in the classical correlation and
> the other surrounding the data in the robust correlation.

But all the data are 'used in the classical correlation'.  Maybe you mean
a tolerance ellipse for the implied bivariate normal distribution?

> I've searched through the MASS library but don't see a separate command
> that could produce this graph. Does anyone know whether one exists, or
> did the graph just disappear in the newer version of R?

It was never in the MASS *package*.  cov.rob() is mainly intended for
multidimensional problems, not 2D ones.   It is possible you were using
methods from package 'robustbase', such as covPlot?

The author of cov.rob.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk