[R] Question about PCA with prcomp

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Mon Jul 2 21:16:26 CEST 2007

Mark,

What you are referring to deals with the selection of covariates, since PC
doesn't do dimensionality reduction in the sense of covariate selection.
But what Mark is asking for is to identify how much each data point
contributes to individual PCs.  I don't think that Mark's query makes much
sense, unless he meant to ask: which individuals have high/low scores on
PC1/PC2.  Here are some comments that may be tangentially related to Mark's
question:

1.  If one is worried about a few data points contributing heavily to the
estimation of PCs, then one can use robust PCA, for example, using robust
covariance matrices.  MASS has some tools for this.
2.  The "biplot" for the first 2 PCs can give some insights
3. PCs, especially, the last few PCs, can be used to identify "outliers".

Hope this is helpful,
Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu