[R] CGIwithR and visible output of 'invisible(capture.output(library(...)))'

Leo Gürtler leog at anicca-vijja.de
Sat Jan 27 22:12:47 CET 2007

Prof Brian Ripley schrieb:

Dear Prof Ripley,

thanks for your information, in my first email I mentioned that I use
Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01) on ubuntu edgy. Sorry for leaving out the
version-no. 1.1.2.3-13ubuntu2, together with R2HTML 1.58, installed
directly from R via 'install.packages()'.

Yes - you're right, there is a .deb called 'zlib-bin' which is
responsible (binary called 'miniunzip'). The original 'unzip' you
mention is also present but not used, because ->

trying to deinstall 'zlib-bin' leads to unresolved dependencies with the
_whole_ 'r-base-core' on ubuntu.

This is totally unintelligible, because the man-page of miniunzip states

"It was written as a  demonstration  of  the zlib(3) library and
therefore lack many of the features of the unzip(1) program."

And - of course - there is no option like '-q' or '--q'.

What are my opportunities besides the need to contact the
ubuntu-maintainers to change the dependencies? There must be stated
somewhere that R should call miniunzip instead of unzip to decompress
files. Where can I find that option?

Thanks!

best,

leo