[R] Package for phylogenetic tree analyses

lalitha viswanath lalithaviswanath at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 22:38:02 CET 2007

Hi
I am looking for a package that
1. reads in a phylogenetic tree in NEXUS format
2. given two members/nodes on the tree, can return the
distance between the two using the tree.

I came across the following packages on CRAN
ouch, ape, apTreeShape, phylgr all of which seem to
provide extensive range of functions for reading in a
Nexus-format tree and performing phylogenetic
analyses, tree comparisons etc, but none to the best
of my undestanding seem to provide a function obtain
distances (in terms of branch lengths) between two
nodes on a single tree.
I am working with just one tree and need a function to
return distances between various pairs of nodes on the
tree.

Is there any other package out there that has this
functionality?

Thanks for your responses to my earlier queries. As a
beginning R programmer, your responses have been of
utmost help and guidance.

Lalitha