[R] reducing RODBC odbcQuery memory use?

WILLIE, JILL JILWIL at SAFECO.com
Thu Jan 25 23:27:02 CET 2007

Basic Questions:

1.  Can I avoid having RODBC use so much memory (35 times the data size
or more) making a data.frame & then .rda file via. sqlQuery/save?

2.  If not, is there some more appropriate way from w/in R to pull large
data sets (2-5GB) into .rda files from sql?

3.  I get an unexpectedly high ratio of virtual memory to memory use
(10:1).  Can that be avoided?

Testing details (R transcript below): 1GB CPU, 1GB RAM windows machine.

1.  testing bigger input table (AUTCombinedWA_BILossCost_1per), size is
20MB in sql, 100000 rows, 2 numeric columns, 55 integer columns;
consumes 350000kb of memory & 800000kb of virtual memory to execute the
sqlQuery command.  Memory not released after the step finishes or upon
execution of odbcCloseAll(), or gc().

2.  tested small input table, size is 2MB in sql, 10000 rows, 2 numeric
columns, 55 integer columns; consumes 55000kb of memory & 515000kb (vm
seems oddly high to me) of virtual memory to execute the sqlQuery
command.

3.  concluded the high memory use is isolated to the odbcQuery step w/in
the sqlQuery function as opposed to sqlGetResults or ODBC itself.

Relevant R session transcript:

>library(RODBC)
>channel<-odbcConnect("psmrd")
>df_OnePer <-data.frame(sqlQuery(channel, "select * from
AUTCombinedWA_BILossCost_1per"))
>save(df_OnePer, file = "df_OnePer.rda")

Additional testing details:
I exited R which released all memory cleanly, then started R again,
loaded the .rda saved in prior step as below.  This confirmed relatively
little of the memory is consumed going from .rda to data frame;
isolating to the RODBC step:

> load("df_OnePer.rda")
> df <- data.frame(df_OnePer)

I closed R & opened MS Access & used the same DSN "psmrd", & to import
the AUTCombinedWA_BILossCost_1per into MS Access which required about
30000kb of memory & 20000kb of virtual.

And finally, I have this excerpt from Prof Brian Ripley that seems
potentially relevant (if it's not just confusion because I called them
'byte-size' when really I should have said they're integers just having
values limited to 1-255).  In any case I'm unable to see from the RODBC
help how to specify this:  "...sqlQuery returns a data frame directly.
I think you need to tell RODBC to translate your 'byte-sized factors' to
numeric, as it will be going through character if these are a type it
does not know about."

Read all the RODBC help, read all the data import guide & searched help
archives...can't find an answer.  Would appreciate advice, experience,
or direction.

Jill Willie
Open Seas
Safeco Insurance