[R] Cronbach's alpha

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Wed Jan 24 19:33:30 CET 2007

Weiwei

Something is wrong. Coefficient alpha is bounded between 0 and 1, so
negative values are outside the parameter space for a reliability
statistic. Recall that reliability is the ratio of "true score" variance
to "total score variance". That is

var(t)/ var(t) + var(e)

If all variance is true score variance, then var(e)=0 and the
reliability is var(t)/var(t)=1. On the other hand, if all variance is
measurement error, then var(t) = 0 and reliability is 0.

Here is a function I wrote to compute alpha along with an example. Maybe
try recomputing your statistic using this function and see if you get
the same result.

alpha <- function(columns){
	k <- ncol(columns)
	colVars <- apply(columns, 2, var)
	total   <- var(apply(columns, 1, sum))
	a <- (total - sum(colVars)) / total * (k/(k-1))
 	}

data(LSAT, package='ltm')
> alpha(LSAT)
[1] 0.2949972