[R] Installing packages...

Ken Beath kjbeath at kjbeath.com.au
Tue Jan 23 23:09:04 CET 2007

On 24/01/2007, at 7:09 AM, Nüzhet Dalfes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a total newbie to R. I am using R (2.4.1) on Mac OS X 10.4.8 and
> trying to install some packages using GUI Packages & Data/Package
> Installer
> interface...
>
> Every time I get:
>
> trying URL
> 'http://umfragen.sowi.uni-mainz.de/CRAN/bin/macosx/universal/
> contrib/2.4/neural_1.4.1.tgz'
> Content type 'application/x-tar' length 18920 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 18Kb
>
> Error in gzfile(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open compressed file 'neural/DESCRIPTION'
>>

> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> Nüzhet Dalfes
>
> Istanbul Tech. Univ.

This looks like a  permissions problem, possibly your account doesn't
have Administrator privileges. Try selecting "At User level" for the
Install Location in the install packages dialog.

There is a special mailling list for mac problems, at https://
stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-mac which may provide a better
answer.

Ken