[R] sequential processing

bogdan romocea br44114 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 22:16:28 CET 2007

One option for processing very large files with R is split:
  ## split a large file into pieces
  #--parameters: the folder, file and number of parts
  FLD=/home/user/data
  F=very_large_file.dat
  parts=50
  #---split
  cd $FLD
  fn=`echo $F | awk -F\. '{print $1}'`  #file name without extension
  ln=`wc -l $F | awk '{print $1}'`  #number of lines in the file
  forsplit=`expr $ln / $parts + 1`  #number of lines in each part
  echo "====== $F will be split in $parts parts of $forsplit lines each."
  split -l $forsplit $F $fn
You could also load the entire file into a DBMS then pull parts of it
into R, or read specific lines through a pipe e.g.
readLines(pipe("sed, grep, python... command")).

Don't try to replicate the SAS processing into R. The exact
translations of the SAS DATA STEP usage of _N_, first., last., retain
etc into R would be: inefficient, ugly, retrogressive, wrong, rigid,
complicated, silly and so on. For a start, read up on indexing - this
seemingly simple and innocuous R feature is in fact far more powerful
than the entire DATA STEP with its whole bag of tricks. Then search
the list for similar questions, for example
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/44332/focus=44343