[R] sequential processing

Gerard Smits g_smits at verizon.net
Sun Jan 21 20:22:07 CET 2007

Like many others, I am new to R but old to SAS.

Am I correct in understanding that R processes a data frame in a
sequential ly?  This would imply that large input files could be
read, without the need to load the entire file into memory.
Related to the manner of reading a frame, I have been looking for the
equivalent of SAS _n_ (I realize that I can use a variant of which to
identify an index value) as well as  useful SAS features such as
first., last., retain, etc.  Any help with this conversion appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerard Smits