[R] kate editor for R

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Fri Jan 19 21:56:01 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 16:09 +0100, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:

<snip>

> I had problems with one of the packages ecb depends upon (semantic ?), and
> emacs-snapshot. IIRC it was a documented problem related to a bug in semantic
> (?); maybe it's been fixed now. But what does emacs-snapshot-gtk provide you
> now (besides the pretinness) that you'd miss with 21-4?

<snip>

Ramon,

Just a quick heads up on the ECB issue.

I am using Emacs 23 from CVS and had to update ECB and the associated
packages to use this version of Emacs. I have emacs 23 installed and run
from a separate download folder, so that I do not overwrite the
installed stable version.

I use the CEDET cedet-1.0pre3.tar.gz aggregate package from
http://cedet.sourceforge.net/ as well as the ECB cvs snap shot package
ecb.tar.gz from http://ecb.sourceforge.net/downloads.html.

The CEDET package includes cogre, ede, eieio, semantic and speedbar.

Extract these two files and then modify ~/.emacs with the following:

;; Load ECB
(setq semantic-load-turn-everything-on t)
(load-file "/PATH/TO/CEDET/cedet-1.0pre3/common/cedet.el")

(add-to-list 'load-path "/PATH/TO/ECB/ecb-snap")
(require 'ecb)

And all seems well.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz