[R] kate editor for R

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Fri Jan 19 11:18:26 CET 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 03:30, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:
> Like kile for LaTeX, Linux/KDE's kate editor is an excellent editor for
> R, with easy code submission to a running R process.  Syntax
> highlighting is good.  I have  not been able to figure out two things:
>
> - how to automatically reformat a line or region of text using good
> indentation rules (Emacs/ESS make this so easy by just hitting Tab while
> the cursor is in a line, or highlighting a region and hitting Esq q)
>
> - how to cause auto-indenting as you type braces.  For me, kate puts a {
> in column one
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

Dear Frank,

May I ask why you are moving to Kate from Emacs? I tried Kate with R (and
Python and LaTeX) and I really liked the folding (which seems a lot better
than all the not-really-functional hacks for getting folding with R and
Python code) and some of the function/class browsers.

However, I specially missed:

a) the possibility of opening as many R processes as I want, and placing that
buffer in wherever place and with whichever size I want.

b) most of the rest of emacs, actually (hey, where did my shells go? and my
org-mode buffer? and my ...; not to talk about the keybindings).

If you feel like it, I'd like to hear about your impressions.

R.

--
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO)

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en s...{{dropped}}