[R] Row limit for read.table

Frank McCown fmccown at cs.odu.edu
Wed Jan 17 16:39:56 CET 2007

I have been trying to read in a large data set using read.table, but
I've only been able to grab the first 50,871 rows of the total 122,269 rows.

 > f <-
read.table("http://www.cs.odu.edu/~fmccown/R/Tchange_rates_crawled.dat",
header=TRUE, nrows=123000, comment.char="", sep="\t")
 > length(f$change_rate)
[1] 50871

 From searching the email archives, I believe this is due to size limits
of a data frame.  So...

1) Why doesn't read.table give a proper warning when it doesn't place
every read item into a data frame?

2) Why isn't there a parameter to read.table that allows the user to
specify which columns s/he is interested in?  This functionality would
allow extraneous columns to be ignored which would improve memory usage.

I've already made a work-around by loading the table into mysql and
doing a select on the 2 columns I need.  I just wonder why the above 2
points aren't implemented.  Maybe they are and I'm totally missing it.

Thanks,
Frank

--
Frank McCown