[R] Controlling size of boxplot when it is added in a plot

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Tue Jan 16 22:25:04 CET 2007

One approach is to use the subplot function from the TeachingDemos
package.  I could only get everything to line up properly if I specified
the xlim argument to hist directly and the same value as the ylim
argument to boxplot.

Try this:

> x <- rnorm(100)
> library(TeachingDemos)
> hist(x, breaks = 20, main = NULL, ylim = c(-2,
max(hs$counts)),xlim=c(-3,3))
> subplot( boxplot(x, horizontal=T, ylim=c(-3,3),axes=F ),
par('usr')[1:2], c(par('usr')[3],0))
> box()

I have seen things like this in teaching situations, but not much in the
non-academic world.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center