[R] R on UNIX Sun-Solaris 10.0 vs. S-Plus

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Jan 13 12:30:39 CET 2007

Louisell, Paul wrote:
> This is a general question to people who've installed R on a UNIX
> sparc-sun-solaris platform:
>
> Have you had any issues related to maintaining R on this platform, e.g.,
> installations that didn't work, instances of R crashing and possibly
> requiring a new installation, etc?
>
> I'm especially interested in anyone who has experience with both R and
> S-Plus on this OS. Is there any reason to prefer one over the other
> considering ONLY installation and updating issues? I don't have
> experience with R on UNIX, but I'm guessing that it's not much (if any)
> more difficult to maintain than S-Plus. I'd appreciate input from anyone
> who has experience.

In fact, I always found it much simpler to install R, because you can
compile it yourself for your platform and it does not expect certain
versions of certain libraries that might not be available on your platform.
Why not quickly try it out yourself and follow the instructions in the R
  Installation and Administration manual?

Uwe Ligges