[R] overdispersion

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Jan 13 00:27:30 CET 2007

John Maindonald wrote:
> I would say rather that for binary data (binomial data with n=1) it
> is not possible to detect overdispersion from examination of the
> Pearson chi-square or the deviance.   Overdispersion may be, and
> often is, nevertheless present.  I am arguing that overdispersion is
> properly regarded as a function of the variance-covariance structure,
> not as a function of the sample data.
>
> The variance of a two-point distribution is a known function of the
> mean, providing that independence and identity of distribution can be
> assumed, or providing that the correlation structure is otherwise
> known and the mean is constant. That proviso is crucial!

I don't really disagree, of course. I was mainly being provocative.

However, these models play tricks on our intuition. When people speak of
overdispersion, they usually imply just what you said: independent data
with the correct mean, but somehow a different variance - a mathematical
impossibility for binary data.

One particular thing to notice is that if the individual means are
heterogeneous but sampled independently from the same underlying
distribution; you still end up with a marginal binomial distribution. If
they are not sampled independently, then you get departures from the
binomial, but it may well be in the direction of underdispersion. For an
extreme case, take a sample of 50 men and 50 women and count the number
of people with breasts.

(If you do the same thing with a random sample of 100 _people_, you get
the binomial distribution again. Unless you're counting the number of
breasts...)